Friday, June 22, 2012

Learning a Foreign Language with Creepy Clowns!

Sprechen sie Deutsch?

The reason I ask is because our third question comes from browneyeddog.  This user wants to know if foreign languages are routinely taught in homeschool curriculums.  Yes, but at least in the top Catholic programs, your choices are pretty limited.  Most only offer Latin, but that is starting to change a little.  For example, I was told I could use Rosetta Stone to learn German instead of Latin.  My parents told me that they would allow me to either take Latin or German.  I really wanted to learn German because its part of my heritage and I knew some people who were from Germany that I thought I could have a conversation with.  It ended up being discouraging when I failed to understand most of what they were saying.

Let's talk about Rosetta Stone for a minute since I brought it up.  I used a version that had an unhealthy obsession with clowns.  They never seemed to run out of sentences and questions involving clowns!  For example, when in my life am I going to need to know how to say in another language that a clown is putting on a shirt or taking off his pants?  This only created slightly awkward situations when people would ask me what I was learning.  But I digress..

So yes, I know a little German.  However, I haven't practiced using it since I graduated, so I've probably forgotten almost everything.

If you have a question that you want answered, just comment below, and I'll answer your question in an upcoming post.

2 comments:

  1. I assume your parents were your teachers at home - did they need any qualifications before starting your home schooling?

    Also, do you feel that you received a better (higher level) of schooling than the average high school?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry it took so long to respond, but to answer your question, no they did not.

      I'll address both questions in further detail in my next blog.

      Delete